Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Last Train to ....

...SUTTON.

Please listen to this song as you read today's entry - Press Play Above :)

THE COMMUTE
Today I will give you details of my commute. I'd love to share some photos, but understand how awkward it is to take pictures of people and trains during rush hour during the week. Plus, they are super strict here regarding public transport safety due to the 7/7 bombings so its not really kosher to take photos of the trains (kind of the same thing in Boston, NYC, etc.)

Anyway, I walk from my home to Wimbledon Station in Wimbledon Town Centre - You can see some pictures and a little bit more of what Wimbledon has to offer on this site: (http://www.wimbledontowncentre.co.uk/). The trains here are privatized, so individual companies run different routes (unlike how the MBTA runs all the commuter rails). My journey from Wimbledon to Sutton takes about 17 minutes.

When I reach Sutton, I grab a newspaper and go around to the back of the station to grab the coach bus that takes us to Kingswood Fields. This is about a 20 minute drive. This is where the office complex is. It looks like an old boarding school in the middle of an English field, absolutely beautiful. There are about 4,000 people in my office throughout different buildings.

I love taking the train because I can look out the window and see the pretty houses and fields and just relax. I usually listen to some Lil Wayne or Phil Collins on my iPod. Did you just picture Lil Wayne and Phil Collins gallivanting around together in an English field? Because I did.

British Word of the Day: Gammon - a type of ham - essentially a hamsteak - very common in sandwiches. This word of the day was a suggestion from my coworker, Tarique!

This weekend I plan to take some more photos of the town centre and my neighborhood :) See you all tomorrow. xoxoxo.

No comments:

Post a Comment